Bible Street Playground


Bible Street Park is a neighborhood park within walking distance of Cos Cob School, Cos Cob Community Center and the Montgomery Pinetum. Today, the park boasts athletic fields, two baseball diamonds, two tennis courts, a basketball court and a fenced playground. But, according to historians, the site once served a very different purpose.


Product image Product image Product image
Bookmark and Share

Bible Street Playground Greenwich CT

DIRECTIONS: US 1 to Orchard Street (at Cos Cob School). Turn onto Orchard Street, second right turn onto Bible Street. Playground, Community Center and field on left.

Greenwich Shore apartments for rent and lease would like to introduce our tenants to all playgrounds and park areas available to you as a Toen of Greenwich resident. We encourage all members of our Greenwich Shore community to take advantage of all Greenwich Ct. has to offer.

Originally the property was owned by the Mead family, later it was acquired by Daniel and Joseph Maher. According to surrounding neighbors, the property was used for the making and selling of ice. At the time, the property was lower than the road and was bisected by a brook and a pond. This pond was used for swimming and ice skating.

During the winter months the stream was dammed and allowed to freeze. The ice was cut and hauled out by horses using chains. Mr. Robert H. Cox, who conducted an ice and coal business, sold the cuts of ice from an ice house then located in the area of the present tennis courts. On January 16, 1930, the property was purchased by the Town of Greenwich.

The area was filled and Strickland Brook was relocated toward the western end of the property. At the southern end, west of the tennis courts, the stream was piped underground to the edge of the property where it continues under Orchard Street. After World War II, temporary housing was fabricated for returning servicemen. Eight two-family dwellings were erected, for a total of 16 units.

When housing was no longer needed it was dismantled and removed. The present community center structure was built in September 1956, and is now used to house the Parks and Recreation Preschool Program. The athletic activities consist of baseball, tennis, basketball, bocce, football, and soccer.

There are two baseball diamonds, two tennis courts, two bocce courts and two playgrounds for children. The large field is used for many community and school activities. The cemetery is listed under the name of the Timpany family, who lived near here for several generations. The first burial date is 1811.

The cemetery is maintained by the Town's Parks and Trees Department. The Park, bordered on all sides by private properties, is lined with a variety of stately trees: oak, English oak, maple, and elm. When the elm die they are replaced by Zalkovia. A tree lined walk bisects the Park adjacent to the Tennis Courts.

   

Current rating is 5.00. Total votes 1.
 

Complete Details